Small Business Saturday is one of our favorite days of the year. We love to shop, we love to buy gifts and we love to support small businesses. We like to frequent our local shops as well as Etsy, which allows us to shop small all over the world!
American Express started the first-ever Small Business Saturday in 2010. The United States Senate unanimously passed a resolution of support for Small Business Saturday in 2011, and by 2015 over 14 billion dollars was spent on this day. It’s been wildly successful and has become part of the holiday shopping tradition all over the country.
With the holidays approaching, Small Business Saturday is a great opportunity to cross things off your list and support smaller shops. Don’t forget to dine small as well!! Below is a list of our favorites:
4. Cookshop Plus; Beer Coaster – Based in West Hartford, CT, but started in Australia and owned & operated by a small family.
5. Kimberly Boutique; Bottle Opener – Small women’s clothing boutique and gift shop, based in West Hartford, CT.
6. Hartford Prints; Pint Glass – Small business in Hartford, CT owned by three sisters, who design & print items in Hartford.
7. Etsy (various businesses) Monogram Decal
8. New Harvest Coffee Roasters – Cycle Drome Mild Blend whole bean coffee, Pawtucket, RI
1. Tiny Galaxies; Star Earrings – Small jewelry designer out of Kingston, Pennsylvania, who started her own line in 2010.
4. Hope & Stetson; Initial Bracelet & Karisma Wrap – Small business shops in Mystic, CT & West Hartford, CT.
5. BXB by Jenny Buxton; Infinity Scarf with Leather Buckle – Husband & wife team from Massachusetts, who run the business from their home.
6. Etsy, A Viking Princess; Leather Wrap Bracelet
1.Hartford Prints; Print & notecards – Small business in Hartford, CT, owned by three sisters, who design & print items in Hartford.
2. Bedrock Tree Farm; Soy Candle Company started on Tree Farm in South Kingston, RI. Products sold in Whole Foods Market.
3. Treefort Naturals Soap Company; soaps & lip balm. Company based in Colchester, CT, who started in 2012 at a farmer’s market.
4. Cookshop Plus; CT Cutting Board – Based in West Hartford, CT, but started in Australia and owned & operated by a small family.
5. Monogram Decals; Various Etsy Shops
6. Ivory Ella; Water Bottle & Coffee Mug – Started in 2015, by 5 colleagues who shared a passion for elephants. They are based out of Westerly, RI, and donate 10% of net profits to Save The Elephants (savetheelephants.org)
We hope you enjoy Small Business Saturday as much as we do. Remember, you are helping out your local business people tremendously when you visit and buy from their shops. Be sure to thank them for their hard work!!
Happy Shopping, Friends!!
Erica & Kristen