It’s that time of year, folks: pumpkin spice is everywhere, leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and it’s football season! This also means that we’re right in the thick of tailgating season. While there are some seriously professional tailgaters, there are also some that come solely for the easy food, beverage consumption, and, of course, the game!
We recently went to a game and tested our tailgating techniques. Below is what we deem to be some basic tailgating necessities:
- Tailgating Table- A folding, portable table is a must-have. These can run the gamut from inexpensive card tables to beer pong regulation-length with team logos: http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/connecticut-huskies-victory-folding-tailgate-table.html
- Coolers – Keeping your food and beverages chilled is also important. Who wants to eat room-temperature salsa and drink warm beer? Certainly not us! Here is a great cooler option that has some cool (pun intended) bells and whistles: https://coolest.com/product/coolest-cooler/
- Thermos – While beer and cold drinks are most common, we have to remember that people are often tailgating in pretty cold weather. We’re big fans of keeping warm by drinking a nice, hot toddy. Keep your adult beverages hot with these two travel mugs:
- Blanket – Speaking of chilly weather, a tailgating blanket is absolutely necessary to keep those tootsies (and the rest of your body) warm on those cold game days. This one from LL Bean is great – and it’s waterproof:
- Camp Chairs – Depending on your day, you could be tailgating for a pretty long time! Make sure you pack light, portable camp chairs. Easy to set up, and fold down. This Coleman one comes with an attached cooler! http://www.coleman.com/chairs/cooler-quad-chair/2000020267.html?cgid=coleman-furniture-chairs#sz=12&start=18
- Grill/Stove – Grilled fare is the name of the game! Having a portable grill/stove is a tailgating must. From eggs in the morning to burgers pre-game to steak tips post-game, be ready with a grill like this: http://www.coleman.com/camp-propane-grill/2000020928.html?cgid=coleman-stovesandgrills-grills#start=11
- Lawn/Parking Lot Games – Now on to the games & not the main event game – we’re talking parking lot games! As a general rule, always pack a football (or a few) to toss around, corn hole and giant Jenga! Drinking games are optional, not that we know anything about that, but just in case, throw some red solo cups in your car!
And there you have it! You have all you need to spend the day cheering on your favorite team! Grab a Solo cup and enjoy!
-Johanna (Go ORANGE!) and Melissa (Go Huskies!)